19 August 2008
MEMORANDUM FOR SEE DISTRIBUTION
SUBJECT: Delegation of Authority - Implementation of Enhanced Retention Incentives Authorities
- This memorandum is an addendum to my delegation of authority dated March 31, 2008 regarding the implementation of recruitment, relocation, and retention incentives. This memorandum reiterates the delegation of authority granted in my March 31, 2008 memorandum but also delegates the additional authority addressed by the Addendum to the Department of Defense (DoD) Policy and Plan, issued as an attachment to the enclosed memorandum by the Under Secretary of Defense (Personnel and Readiness) (USD (P&R)), dated February 5, 2008, subject: Implementation of Enhanced Retention Incentives Authorities. The Addendum provides an enhanced authority to approve retention incentives when eligible employees are likely, in the absence of such an incentive, to leave for a different position in the Federal service before the closure or relocation of the employee's office, facility, activity, or organization.
- Section 5754 of title 5, United States Code, and Section 575.315 of title 5, Code of Federal Regulations, authorize these retention incentives. The February 5, 2008 Addendum to the DoD Policy and Plan implements this retention incentive authority.
- Under authority delegated to me by the Secretary of the Army, I hereby delegate
to the Commanders of the Army Commands, the Commanders of the Army Service Component Commands, the Commanders/Superintendent of the Direct Reporting Units and the Administrative Assistant to the Secretary of the Army, the authority to approve retention incentives under the February 5, 2008 Addendum to the DoD Policy and Plan, except with respect to Senior Executive Service, senior-level (SL) and scientific or professional (ST) positions, or equivalent positions. For purposes of this delegation, the Principal Officials of the Headquarters, Department of the Army (HQDA), their staffs and other elements, including Field Operating Agencies, Staff Support Agencies, and those Direct Reporting Units not covered above (to include the U.S. Army Acquisition Support Center) fall under the purview of the Administrative Assistant to the Secretary of the Army. This authority may be further delegated, in writing, and shall be exercised consistent with DoD implementing policy.
- Within 14 days of the issuance of this memorandum, the Office of the Deputy Chief of Staff, G-1, will issue additional instructions and procedures as required to support operational requirements and ensure the appropriate use of the incentives. Managers, supervisors, and other officials authorized to determine eligibility for retention incentives are accountable officials and must comply with volume 5, Chapter 33 of the DoD Financial Management Regulation 7000.14-R.
- This delegation is effective immediately and expires on March 25, 2010, unless earlier revoked or superseded.
- To the extent this memorandum impacts bargaining unit employees' conditions of employment, activities are reminded to meet their statutory labor relations obligations in its implementation.
Ronald J. James
Assistant Secretary of the Army
(Manpower and Reserve Affairs)
Enclosure 2 - http://www.cpms.osd.mil/ASSETS/AB68C933CB854019A096AAA96554B419/Implementation%20of%20Enhanced%20Retention%20Incentives%20Authorities%20I.pdf
ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT TO THE SECRETARY OF THE ARMY
US ARMY FORCES COMMAND
US ARMY TRAINING AND DOCTRINE COMMAND
US ARMY MATERIEL COMMAND
ARMY SERVICE COMPONENT COMMANDS
US ARMY EUROPE
US ARMY CENTRAL
US ARMY NORTH
US ARMY SOUTH
US ARMY PACIFIC
US ARMY SPECIAL OPERATIONS COMMAND
US ARMY SPACE AND MISSILE DEFENSE COMMAND/ARMY STRATEGIC
EIGHTH US ARMY
DIRECT REPORTING UNITS
US ARMY NETWORK ENTERPRISE TECHNOLOGY COMMAND/9TH SIGNAL
US ARMY MEDICAL COMMAND
US ARMY INTELLIGENCE AND SECURITY COMMAND
US ARMY CRIMINAL INVESTIGATION COMMAND
US ARMY CORPS OF ENGINEERS
US ARMY MILITARY DISTRICT OF WASHINGTON
US ARMY TEST AND EVALUATION COMMAND
US MILITARY ACADEMY
US ARMY RESERVE COMMAND
US ARMY INSTALLATION MANAGEMENT COMMAND
DEPUTY CHIEF OF STAFF FOR INTELLIGENCE, ATTN: DAMI-CP
ASSISTANT G-1 FOR CIVILIAN PERSONNEL
DIRECTOR, CIVILIAN HUMAN RESOURCES AGENCY
ASSISTANT SECRETARY OF THE ARMY (MANPOWER AND RESERVE
AFFAIRS), ATTN: SAMR-PO
THE JUDGE ADVOCATE GENERAL, ATTN: DAJA-LE