DEPARTMENT OF THE ARMY
DALO-SMZ 09 NOV 1999
OFFICE OF THE DEPUTY CHIEF OF STAFF FOR LOGISTICS
600 ARMY PENTAGON
WASHINGTON DC 20310-05OO
MEMORANDUM FOR DEPUTY ASSISTANT SECRETARY OF THE ARMY
MANPOWER AND RESERVE AFFAIRS (MR. SNYDER,
CIVILIAN PERSONNEL POLICY), 111 ARMY PENTAGON,
ROOM 2R594, WASHINGTON DC 20310
SUBJECT: Career Program 13 (Supply Management) for Logistics 0301 Personnel
- Request your office take action to include Supply GS-0301s in the Supply Management Career program (CP13).
Career Field. (CP) 13 has 0301s, but currently 301s are not included in Career Program 13.
FACT: Career Field 13: Currently within the HQ ACPERS
Database CP13 shows 275 Supply 301s from pay grades GS-05
through GS-15, and the bulk of the Supply 301 population is
within the Army Materiel Command.
- Noticeab1y absent from the existing Career Program 13 are our Logistics 0301 individuals in grades 09-15.
Typically, the 0301s were not found i supply. But as the mission changes for many of our logistics managers, the traditional
occupational series found in supply, such as 2003, 2001, or 2010, cannot support the greater need to broaden the position's
responsibilities New requirements involve knowledge and skills in more than one discipline, but not necessarily in Logistics
or Supply. The 0301 series is the best (at present) classification To most accurately portray job duties. For instance, a
Manager's position within a Logistics Directorate may require Financial management and systems analysis, but the preponderance
Of the duties are in supply. Since these responsibilities are not traditionally logistics functions it is not appropriate for
the 0346 series.
- Career Management for these individuals is a vital part of their professional growth and development as
future managers and leaders Hence, the inclusion of the Supply 0301s into the Combined Logistics ACTEDS Plan under CP13
and in EASY ACCES is Essential and would align these individuals with a Career Program, ACTEDS funding, Central Referral,
and the Logistics Management Proponency Office and Functional Chief Representative Career oversight.
- Currently, within the Logistics Management Proponency Office, a Master Training Plan to support the inclusion of the
Supply 301s is under development and will be available for inclusion to the Combined Logistics ACTEDS Plan.
- My POC for this matter is Ms. Linnea Kerins, DSN 539-0660, E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
//Original Signed //
DONNA L. SHANDS
Acting Director, Supply