Work Injury Guidelines

What To Do When Injured At Work

If you are injured at work, you may be entitled to injury compensation benefits provided under the Federal Employees' Compensation Act (FECA). Federal employees have certain rights and responsibilities in filing for these benefits:

Immediately report any work-related injury to your supervisor. If your injury requires medical treatment, obtain care as soon as possible. If you sustain a traumatic injury, you may obtain a Form CA-16, Authorization for Examination and/or Treatment from your supervisor or ICS.

You have a right to choose your treating physician. You may elect to be treated by a physician at a military treatment facility (if available) or by a duly qualified physician of your choice who is not excluded by the Office of Workers' Compensation Programs (OWCP). You must notify your supervisor of your preferred choice prior to scheduling an appointment. Any request by your supervisor or the occupational health clinic that you be evaluated by a medical clinic or contract physician must not interfere with your preferred physician appointment.

To protect your rights to certain benefits, complete the Form CA-1 or CA-2 with your supervisor as soon as possible, but not later than 30 days after your injury. Complete a Form CA-1, Federal Employee's Notice of Traumatic Injury and Claim for Continuation of Pay/Compensation if your injury results from a specific event or a series of events during one day or shift. If you develop a condition due to prolonged exposure lasting more than one day or shift, complete a Form CA-2, Federal Employee's Notice of Occupational Disease and Claim for Compensation. Your supervisor will transmit these forms to the appropriate Injury Compensation Specialist (ICS). Complete these forms as precisely as possible in order to avoid delays caused by asking you for additional information.

You may be asked to provide additional information. Although your supervisor or other agency representative may assist you, it is your responsibility to obtain the information needed to support your claim. It is your responsibility to obtain a written diagnosis of your inquiry, how it is related to your employment, and a date you can return to light duty. This must be signed by your physician, not a staff member or nurse.

If you are temporarily unable to work because of your injury, you MUST keep your supervisor informed about your medical condition, and return to work as soon as your physician allows you to do so. Light duty assignments may be available if you are not able to perform your regular job, and if so, you must advise your physician.

Content last reviewed: 02/08/2017-AEL

Related Topics