PCS - Moving Household Goods

When employees make permanent change of station (PCS) moves, the government will pay to move up to 18,000 pounds of household goods. The Transportation Management Office (TMO) is responsible for arranging for the movement of household goods and will be the organization that provides counseling on the specifics of the move. They will arrange for movement of the goods under a government bill of lading (GBL). If the employee decides to move by an alternative method, reimbursement is limited to actual expenses not to exceed the cost of a GBL move from the old duty location to the new duty location. This includes shipping from or to more than one location.

Employees are authorized temporary storage of household goods in conjunction with the move. For a PCS move made under an order with an effective date on/after 1 August 2011, the maximum total time limit for Storage In Transit (SIT) is 150 days for CONUS-CONUS shipment and 180 days for OCONUS origin and/or destination HHG.

Employees whose PCS move is to an overseas destination have additional entitlements and constraints that are applicable to household goods shipments. The servicing CPAC will be able to provide additional guidance should it be necessary.

Content last reviewed: 11/14/2016-GLB