Executive Order 12721, “Eligibility of Overseas Employees for Noncompetitive Appointments," applies to current DA employees who are family members (FMs) of DA civilians or military personnel in the United States. Eligible family members include DA civilians who are nonappropriated fund, but not Army and Air Force Exchange Service employees. Eligible family members also include family members of Army National Guard personnel. DA FMs who are currently on career or career conditional appointments, those in the excepted service (includes employees on Veterans Readjustment Appointments (VRA) and Schedule A appointments for the disabled), and Defense Civilian Intelligence Personnel System (DCIPS) employees covered under the Office of Personnel Management (OPM) Interchange Agreement are eligible for registration and referral when their DA civilian or military sponsor:
- Makes a permanent change of station to a new commuting area;
- Makes a PCS overseas and the DA FM remains in the U.S. for reasons considered beneficial to the family;
- Makes an unaccompanied PCS move overseas and the DA FM wishes to make a PCS move within the U.S.;
- Is on temporary assignment for 9 months are longer under either permanent or temporary duty orders (includes assignments to service schools and developmental assignments;
- Is a temporary DA employee selected for a permanent position at another Army duty station with no break in service;
- Is assigned to a DOD activity and there is a DA activity in the new commuting area;
- Is a DA reservist called to active duty or a civil service reemployed annuitant if the assignment is for 9 months are more; or
- Retires from active military service or the service term has expired and the family is moving to the location designated in the PCS orders.
Eligible family members may be registered for a maximum of 1 year. This eligibility is applicable regardless of whether leave without pay continues beyond 90 days. Registration must occur at the new location within 7 working days after arrival or the employee is subject to forfeiture of eligibility.
Registrants must provide a copy of the sponsors PCS orders or verification of position change to the new location.
A minimum of 90 days of leave without pay (LWOP) is granted to each FM, as required. Extensions of LWOP may be granted.