December 29, 2006
MEMORANDUM FOR SEE DISTRIBUTION
SUBJECT: Transforming Civilian Leader Development
The transformation of Army Civilian Leader Development comes at a critical time.
Our civilians must be innovative, adaptive, and confident to deal with complexity and
uncertainity in a constantly evolving environment. For this reason, the Army is
accelerating its development and implementation of the Civilian Education System (CES)
The CES is a centralized, progressive, and sequential education system that
consists of foundation, basic, intermediate, and advanced courses. The scheduled
implementation of courses is Jan 07.
To facilitate the accelerated development and implementation of the CES, our
current Civilian Leader Development courses and programs will immediately phase out
and transition into the CES curriculum.
- Sustaining Base leadership and Management (SBLM) 06-2 - reduced (68 participants)
- SBLM 06-3 - cancelled
- Personnel Management for Executives I and II - ends 30 Dec 06
- Strategic Leadership for Executives - cancelled
- Organizational Leadership for Executives - ends 30 Jun 06
- Leadership Education and Development Course (LEAD) Train the Trainer - ends 30 Jun 06
- LEAD - ends 30 Dec 06
- Intern Leadership Development Course continues until 30 Dec 07
The CES progress updates may be obtained at the AKO Civilian Leader Development
Transformation Community beginning 30 May 06. Thank you for your support
during this period of transition - the future environment demands multi-skilled
civilian leaders at all levels prepared to face any challenge.
JAMES J. LOVELACE
Lieutenant General, GS
Deputy Chief of Staff, G-3/5/7